Transfer treads: tips to perform stair renovation
Transfer treads are an interesting way to perform a stair renovation. The concept is also known as step by step. In This article we discuss the possibilities and prices for placing transfer steps.
What are transfer steps?
In fact, when placing transfer steps, a new step is placed on each step of an existing staircase. The system can be applied at both closed and open stairs. When closed stairs, the riser is usually provided with a new finish. The step-over-step system allows you to quickly give your staircase a new look.
An overview of the most frequently implemented methods for stair renovations are as follows:
1) extensive material choice: Thanks to the wide range of materials, you can certainly find a type of transfer step that suits your preferences and interior. For example, wood is a popular material for the manufacture of transfer treads. Here there are several options such as oak wood, beech wood or mahogany. Other suitable materials are laminate, PVC, vinyl and carpet. The treads can even be finished with a concrete look.
2) The placement of a step-over-step system allows to perform a stair renovation quickly: Usually the works can be completed in a day. After the execution of the works, the staircase can be quickly re-run.
3) The renovation of a staircase with transfer treads is usually cheaper than placing a completely new staircase, which is also a much more work-intensive job.
4) There are no breaking works needed in this form of stair renovation.
5) The staircase can be further finished after the execution of the works, for example with rubber strips to prevent slipping.
Prices of transfer Treads:
The cost of placing transfer steps depends on several factors. The choice of materials, the degree of difficulty of the works and the number of steps and their shape will play a role in the price calculation.
On average you can expect prices between 125 and 150 euro per transfer step (including insertion fee). Transfer steps from laminate are among the cheaper options, while the variants from wood will be more expensive.
For the placement of transfer steps you should hire a professional. A professional in stair renovation can tailor your advice and you can count on the correct execution of the works. Through the offer service you can get free price proposals without obligations. This will help you choose custom applications for specialists in stair renovations. This way you can easily compare prices and choose the most advantageous offer.
Placing transfer steps is a job that involves a lot of things to look. That’s why you can find some frequently asked questions and their answers:
1) Are there also disadvantages to transfer steps?
Earlier in this article you could already discover some of the advantages of the step-over-step system. However, there are also some drawbacks to this system. That’s why, transfer treads are cheaper than the placement of a new staircase, it remains a considerable investment. In addition, the refresher of the look is an old staircase; Do you have to deal with a staircase whose construction is already damaged, then transfer will not provide any consolation.
2) How can you finish the steps further?
There are several possibilities to finish the steps further. The exact finish will depend mainly on the choice of materials. As already mentioned, you can make a protection against slipping. This can be for example with rubber strips or with anti-slip tape. Especially with transfer steps from wood There are still many finishes: for example, you can choose a transparent oil to preserve the wood look, but also painting is an option.
3) Can you place transfer steps?
If you are handy and have sufficient technical knowledge, it is certainly possible to buy and place transfer. Keep in mind that the tailoring of the steps is not a simple job, especially in stairs whose treads differ in shape and dimensions, for example at turn stairs. This work needs to be done very precisely. In order to achieve a good end result, you should also select a professional.
The placement of stair renovation process:
1) Measurement work: The old steps are measured so that the dimensions of the new steps can be determined.
2) Transfer steps: Based on the measurements, the new steps are made to measure. Of course we have to work very precisely so that the new steps will fit nicely with the old staircase.
3) Stair Surface cleaning: It is important to work on a tidy surface. Therefore the staircase for the renovation is first cleaned.
4) Apply glue: Glue is applied to the cleaned surface, on which the new treads are then placed.
5) Sealant: The seams are neatly afgekited.
6) Extra Protection: Do you choose for example wooden transfer steps? Then the wood can be added for extra protection with an oil. This way you can enjoy your renovated staircase longer.